View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LauraS

Day 18 here, and doing just fine!

Wow, I have not felt this good in a long time. I guess it's true that when you're done, you're done. I'm done.

It's day 18 for me, and though I still have cravings and thoughts about drinking, I have been able to remind myself that I'm through with pretending that I can go back to drinking like I did when I was younger. I'm just not that person anymore and there's nowhere this is going to lead me that is any good if I don't just stop.

What I'm saying is that I tried very hard, but I could not successfully moderate my drinking in a way that would assure that I would not eventually go off the deep end and wind up where I was 19 days ago, with my head in the toilet, so drunk that I thought I was puking up blood because I'd been drinking red wine all night.

You know what? I'm not going back there again, and it feels great. No more hangovers, no more guilt, shame and embarrassment, no more. Today, life feels good.

There is a lot for me to sort through over these next few months, I know. There are deep-seated reasons for all the drinking I did, and I need to face them. Somehow, this time, I believe that's going to be okay.

For today, I am sober and :day6 it's quite a gift!