View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Kyle

I smoked for 20 years - so I was probably a good 15-20 years older than you when I quit...

It wasn't too hard for me to quit physically...and although I remember being irritable it didn't get much worse than that mentally...it was just the slog of getting through it that sucked really.

I moved away from my friends too, so I didn't have the temptation factor either I guess.

My advice is to keep busy, remember why you're doing this, and use us here at SR as much as you like. Support is a wonderful thing

In the longer term? I know I smoked, and drank, and did whatever else for underlying reasons - I had some void in me I was trying to fill.

When I gave up pot, I turned even more to alcohol and wasted another decade - I know now I should have faced up to my issues and worked out precisely why I wanted to be off my head so much.

I think that's kinda what Anna was getting at.

I dunno what you feel about 12 step programmes but there is a Marijuana Anonymous too...never done it myself, but here's a link for you to follow up if you wanna check it out. A lot of the people here also feel the need for face to face support.

Marijuana Anonymous World Services

Welcome to SR!
D