Thread: What saved me
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
The thing that is the hardest on me is the regret for what I have done to my kids and how will I ever come to terms with it and get their forgiveness. Well guess what? Every person that talked last night talked about the very same thing and how IF WE STAY SOBER, the feelings of regret will go away because we have to let it go and IF WE STAY SOBER our families will in time forgive us. What is better than that.
Great message Eclipse, thank you for sharing and it's nice to see you again.

I struggled for so long with regret for the pain and hurt I'd caused my children, I felt like a failure as a father, ashamed that we were no longer a family because of my drinking. But I knew that I had to stay sober at all costs, and my children were always there with words and actions that reassured me that we loved each other.

Looking back I know that it's all been part of the journey, it's strengthened our relationship beyond my wildest dreams, and our love for each other is incredible. We're a new family now, I'm remarried, we share a life I never thought was possible. I owe that all to AA, the 12 Steps, and God. And for that I'm truly grateful!