Old 01-15-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Hi Untox

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
So if alcohol isn't the problem, then what the hell is? I seem to have lost my motivation and zest for life.

Er.....since when ???

Most of the posts I have seen from you in the last couple of weeks have been telling us how great you feel, how great life is etc.

You seem quite an open person (you started this thread) so I assume you were telling the truth about how great you felt.

Human beings have moods. High, middle, low. A human cannot always be in a high or a middle mood. Sometimes they have to be in a low mood. This is what makes us human.

You have been on a high for a couple of weeks, enjoying your new routine, clear head, working out in the gym and now in the last couple of days you don't feel so great. So now you say you have lost your 'zest for life'.

Depression is serious - I've been suicidal/depressed/prescribed ADs - but coming out of that depression I have learned being in a low mood does not mean that I am depressed and that all is lost.

Since I have learned this, the low moods shift quickly as I pay no attention to them. This too shall pass. Sure, a 12 Step programme helps but I learned some self-help techniques to compliment it. If you are interested let me know and I will recommend you a book which helped me.

As to the alcohol, of course everyone is telling you the same, only you can tell.

I am reading Beyond the Influence (sequel to your book) and I have to say that I didn't quite read it as you did re alcoholic alive/normal drinkers tired.

I read it as alcohol affects people in different ways. It can be both a stimulant and a tranquiliser. Alcoholics can have a tendancy to take longer to reach the tranquiliser effect because of their tolerance but this varies. As an alcoholic I found sometimes I am high/alive when drinking and other times one glass of wine would have the tears rolling down my face and I would just sit staring into space, total lethargy.

If you are thinking that you are not an alcoholic or problem drinker based on the fact the book says 'normal drinkers' just get tired after a couple, then I would advise caution.

There have been many occassions where I have managed to drink normally and given myself a big pat on the back and felt huge relief......but it doesn't last long. No normal drinker would come to this website, imo.

Please keep in touch, however you are doing. Everyone here cares about you. I think you can see that from the huge response you have had. Take care.