Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
David2010

I went to get my physical yesterday and found out the following...

I told my doctor everything...held back nothing. He checked my eyes and abdomen very carefully and had blood tests taken.

When I got off my back on the table he said "I'm confident you haven't done any major damage to your liver". I was shocked that he could be so confident from such an exam so I asked if he was sure - and why he was so confident.

He said he was feeling for my liver under my rib cage and he was tapping on it. He explained that as he tapped my liver it emerged 8cm out (whatever that means) and that it was well within the 'normal' range. I'm not sure I understood exactly what he was describing but I gathered that if the live doesn't emerge at all, or not far enough, there may be scar tissue (Cirrhosis). He said he'd be 100% sure after the blood test come back today, but he was very confident that I didn't do any damage that couldn't be reversed.

He also said the skina around the liver would show clear signs of blood vessel damage if there was liver damage - and he found no evidence of that at all. He also said I had no signs of jaundice - which I guess is another sign of poosible liver problems.

I told him I was worried about what I was doing to my stomach - and that I had been taking Prilosec OTC twice a day for the last couple years. I was worried because the package says you shouldn't take more than 1 per day and not longer than 2 weeks. He said it's completely safe to take for very long periods of time - and that I was basically just taking the prescription strength. He said I was saving my stomach and esophagus by taking it while drinking. He said to cut back to one since I stopped drinking (which I already had)...and that after a few more weeks I may not need it at all.

I'm still worried that the test may show something bad - but I was encouraged by his early news. He also said my blood pressure was good - 130/70

Happy to be on day 4