View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ceres
Go ask the Multivax

Hello,

I'm not a doctor of course, but I did want to point out that Cymbalta is first an antidepressant that happens to also help with anxiety. It's not the same compounds found in Xanax and other addictive anxiety medications. The effects of Cymbalta are over a long period of time. It's not the kind of medication one "takes as needed" with an immediate relaxing effect.

Being in recovery can do a real doozy on our mental state of being for at least the first year. This is expected. So sometimes it's hard to say if there is a real lasting chemical inbalance. Some people only need medication for a little while, others need it for a lifetime. In my case, I come from a long line of mentally unstable women including a grandmother who spent most of her adult life in institutions. I have no doubt I'll be on medication possibly all my life. I'm quite okay with that. It's like a genetic bith defect. The real shame is when people wander through their lives untreated.

I don't know if you have a family history, but it's certainly something your doctor would have asked about, and something you should consider or at least ponder.