View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
eyemitalian0312

Recovery and Meds

Hello all. Let me start out by saying I am not seeking medical advice, but just opinions on med usage during recovery. I am just about 70 days sober. Wow, can't believe I wrote that. It's been quite a ride and loving it. To my point however, I sat with my sponsor the other day and brought up the fact that I am on quite a few meds. Most notably, cymbalta which is an anti-depressant.

During our discussion, he was mentioning that he does not believe in the use of medicines during recovery unless there is a medical diagnoses. I was not prescribed this med for depression, but for anxiety which I knew was from my drinking but initially did not fill my Dr. in to that fact. I have always been a person who gets irritated quite easily, although not violently.

Skipping forward, since being on this med and not drinking (giving it a chance to actually work) I have mellowed quite a bit and I like the results. Now I have thought in the past as my sponsor stated, I will not be able to experience the low lows, or high highs, in essence raising the bottom and lowering the top (experiencing life on life terms). He believes this will hamper my ability to have conscience contact with God, making me have an "I don't care attitude". I will say I have also thought of this as well. He also stated that his belief is based on others he is sponsoring and there inability to remain sober because they are on meds. I think this is being rather judgmental, but maybe his experience has shown him differently. He seems to be stating this as fact, rather than opinion as he is not a doctor. To end this, what are some opinions on this as I have no desire at the moment to go off cymbalta. The campral and naltroxone, (for craving) trazadone, (for sleep) and baclofen (for nerves) yes I will eventually be off these. Thanks for any and all responses!

Edited to add: Do you believe this is an appropriate topic to bring up at a meeting? I don't want to start a battle royal if this is a touchy subject!!!!