Thread: Cigarettes
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

- raising hand - in agreement with focusing on not drinking first - quit smoking later...

My LADAC counselor cautioned me about quitting too many things at once. He strongly suggested getting a handle on sobriety first and let quitting cigarettes wait a year. He personally knows people who didn't quit smoking until they had 2 years of recovery from alcohol. Everyone's different.

Anyway, I'm glad I focused on not drinking first. Was able to get a good program of recovery from alcohol established and learned how to 'live sober' before I quit smoking.

I used cigarettes as a coping mechanism during stressful times in the beginning that I would ordinarily have picked up a drink.

I'm glad I did it that way. Worked for me. Good luck to you!

P.S. I get a kick out of the old movies where everyone smoked everywhere (including in courtrooms - remember the old Perry Mason movies)? Smoking was everywhere; hospitals, work, public transportation, restaurants.

P.S.S. And I have vowed to never be a vigilante non-smoker waving my finger at everyone else who does smoke and who should quit cuz it's so bad for you. To each his own.