Thread: Cigarettes
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeekSobriety

I drank to smoke! Wierd huh?

My Sponsor has 28 years free from Alcohol and 27 years free from smoking, which was nice. For me Cigarettes and drinking/using went hand it hand. In fact I drank to smoke (since I really only truly "enjoyed" to smoke if I drank, if you could understand that one. But thats just me of course.

I think had Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob known what we know today about the dangers of smoking, they probably would have done things differently. Considering that so many people in AA have dealt with one addiction only to succumb to the addiction of nicotine. Bill Wilson and so many others have died horrific deaths thanks to nicotine addiction, while they were sober from booze there are other addictions which are bad as well.

Of course everyone has a different opinion and agenda sometimes. When I first started going to meetings as someone who quit drinking and smoking simultaneously, I cannot begin to tell you how many people (smokers of course) were threatened by my simultaneous quitting and were urging me to smoke but just focus on not drinking. Now for me to smoke would be like an alcoholic doing heroin but not boozing. It just would not work for me. Of course everyone is different but there are so many positives when we give up smoking.

The money I save each day which as a pack a day smoker is about 7 dollars now. So that is about 50 dollars a week I am saving, $200 a month. $2,400 dollars a year! I am not only saving money but my skin looks better, I am not aging as fast, I do not stink when I walk into a room, I am healthier, I feel better, I will live a longer more healthy life, my chance for heart attack is decreased, my chance for a numerous amount of horrific illnesses related to the disease of nicotine addiction decreases.

There are many studies now being released which show that people who give up nicotine addiction along with Alcohol addiction have a better chance at longer term sobriety.

Of course everyone is different but we have so many tools today available to us thanks to the 12 step programs where we can give up nicotine in groups like Nicotine Anonymous where there are many members who have also given up Alcohol and are as we call "double winners"

What worked for me was applying the 12 step principals to all my affairs,
I have meetings, fellowship and commitments at Nicotine Anonymous as well as AA.
I also have found lots of incredible information and support at Whyquit.com

a day at a time a breath at a time I find now that I do not need any substance to make it through the day. I have saved tons of money, I look, feel and smell better and little by little I am getting healthier and healthier. It is a amazing gift that I have given myself and my family thanks to the principals of the 12 step programs. The greatest thing is that we all have the ability to obtain this together.

Thanks for letting me share my personal experience.

I wish you all the best in your journey and congratulations on the time you have.
all the best!

Things that have helped me:

Nicotine Anonymous

Whyquit.com