Thread: Cigarettes
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lostmyway

Cigarettes

I was just wondering how those of you in recovery feel about smoking cigarettes.

I was a social smoker during my black out drinking days, but now that I am in recovery I find myself depending heavily on cigarettes, almost a half pack a day. That and coffee just help me deal with things better somehow.

It really ticks me off when people make comments to me like, "That's bad for you, you know." No, really? I want to ask them. It also ticks me off when people make comments that I am a mom who smokes. I never smoke in my house, only on the front porch, I never smoke in my car with the kids in it, and I always wash my hands before touching the baby after I've had a cigarette. Someone at a holiday party went so far as to say, "Yeah, but the smell is still in your clothes."

Smoking cigarettes is bad for you...I get that. But I find myself wanting to scream at these people, "You know what was really bad for me?! Polishing off an 8 serving bottle of wine every night, smoking some pot and throwing sleeping pills into the mix!" Of course I don't want to go into that with most people, but I feel like if they knew, maybe they'd back off a little.

Seriously, aren't cigarettes a lesser evil at this point? How many of you are smokers, and how do you deal with the crap people give you about it?