Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
David2010

Originally Posted by clifty2 View Post
Hi David
I am new here also and live in Ireland. I think you have made the most courageous step. I can relate very closely to your style of drinking. The only difference between us is that I haven't divulged my secret honestly to my family as I am afraid of "failing". The fear factor is very real for me. The thought of embarking on a life without ever taking another drink really scares me as I used it as an anasethetic for so many life events!! I have a 10yr old and also have 7 yr old twins (albeit non-identical). Well done to you David and I wish you every success on your journey. The chat forum here can be very useful when you are struggling. There is something very reassuring to know that we are not alone!! Take care
Hi clifty -

I know all about the fear of failure when it comes to this issue. What helped me take the step to 'come clean' was just that - fear of failure. I knew I'd fail if I kept it to myself. My twins are also 7 years old (today is actually their birthday).

And you'll be surprised (and happy) to learn that once you find the courage to tell your secret - it gives you even more courage. I've felt more courage with every person I've told so far (5 people so far - more to come). I can honestly say that I haven't had a real 'craving' yet, but I know they will come. But because it was a secret that is now out in the open, I have people to turn to to help me get through those times when they happen.

I will pray that you find the courage to take the step I did. You will feel happier than you have in a long time when you do. That much I know for certain. Good luck to you!