Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kickmeplz

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I do think it's clear you have some issues, and you've identified some of them - fear of intimacy, trust issues etc
Is it clear? I guess I've never been 100% sold that these little nuances I've mentioned are ACOA-related or not. Or maybe I should say, I'm still not sure my behavior or thinking is unhealthy or illogical (the real test in my mind being if I were to find the girl with the right values and still not feel warm fuzzies). In my mind, I'm not sure I want to be like other people, who often seem to jump into relationships haphazardly and irresponsibly ignoring red flags, in my personal view.

I know this is probably a big 'nono', but I'd have to be pretty convinced I can't think myself through this problem before I'd consider therapy or whathaveyou. For example I had light anxiety (I say 'light' because if it were the same anxiety others feel, I'm not sure I could have gotten around it without taking medication or therapy or other such things that other folks must do, right?) in high school and some years afterward yet I've, for the most part, outgrown that by putting myself through some tough situations and made myself get over it. I feel like I have made advancements on my own, and I'd have to be convinced this problem couldn't also be handled in such a way before getting professional help.

(Thanks for your referral to the ACOA forum, by the way. Appreciate it! )