View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

Great question blackbirdsing. Thanks for asking.

I'm on Day 15 this time around, and you pose a great question. Here's what's working for me thus far...

I attend NA meetings every day, twice daily at least 4x a week. I talk to my sponsor every day and am starting to work the steps. I read the NA basic text every day. I speak with friends in recovery and look to make new friends in recovery.

I have a daily meditation practice for 30 minutes in the morning and at night. In the morning i pray, setting my intentions for the day. Also, i do a little pranayama in the morning with some light yoga poses. In the evening after meditation i review my day(inventory) and note where i could've done better/ made better decisions. I need/want to start writing this down in a journal.

I'm getting 20-30 minutes if exercise after work, before my meeting during the week and on saturday.

I'm reading more than watching tv. In addition to the basic text i'm reading Taking the leap:Freeing ourselves from old habits and fears by Pema Chodron, One Breath at a time: Buddhism and the 12 stepsby Kevin Griffin, and Non-Violent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg. Also read some from the Dhammapada each evening. Keeping my head in recovery/spiritual books really helps foster acceptance and peace within which really is making recovery enjoyable and perhaps even possible for this longtime addict.

Taking what i read/practice in meditation to my daily life is what i'm attempting to do. One exercise in Pema's book that i'm using is to pause and take 3 breaths to become present before i drive, log onto my computer at work, answer the phone, etc.. Especially when i find stress or resentment, anger, come up during the day i attempt to pause, breathe, become present, let go. Let the thoughts cravings die a natural death without giving more life to them. I can honsetly say it's working when i choose to do this, but it's difficult to remember or be willing to pause rather than to get hooked into thought patterns.

I think though that these thought patterns and getting hooked into them are a significant part of my addiction and hope that recognizing this and moving to not get hooked as much will aid me in my recovery. It's helped so far.

I'm feeling pretty good about my recovery today and am trying to do as much sa i can for it. For this addict it requires much attention and a balance of 12 step fellowship, step work, spiritual practice, exercise, and healthy diet are all needed to grow and recover. I hope i can continue with the momentum i've gained in these two weeks.

Thanks again for asking this question. It's good to put it all down so i can see what i'm doing and what i need to do.

All the best to you all.