View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Hi Blui and welcome. I can imagine how distressing this is for you. After all, whatever age he is, he is still your baby boy.

Originally Posted by blui View Post
i'm not sure he has anywhere lower to go than where he is now unless i do throw him out the house -- which i don't think i'll do.
most parents can say that they're not responsible, but with him this is just the part of the very long road we've already been down.
As far as his life goes he may be rock bottom but as far as the drug use goes he is at the very start of it. When we first start using it is bliss. The drug (alcohol or whatever it is) makes us feel like we can take on anything, that life is just wonderful or it comfortably numbs out all the bad stuff that we feel. And this is why we keep using.

Eventually we find that we need to use more and more to keep this feeling but it still feels good to use.

Then we get to a stage where however much we use we can't get that initial high or blissful feeling that we had at the start. By this time we are so addicted we have to keep using and our addictive minds keep chasing the high.

Next we find that using starts to make us feel bad, the feeling we were running away from in the first place but we still want to use so we keep trying to find ways of using to get that high or take away the bad feelings.

After exhausting all the options of using and finding we can never feel good again we get to the stage we don't want to use anymore but we have no option as the addiction is so overpowering. Now we really are in hell! - using something we hate, knowing we are never going to feel any better, unable to stop and knowing that it is just going to get worse.....Many of us find rock bottom here.

The original founder of Alcoholics Anonymous described this process very well. If you are interested do a search for the Big Book and read the chapter Bill's story. It was written in the 1930s but still applies today to alcoholics and drug addicts alike.

Unfortunately you are really powerless over this. He has to get himself out of this. It is really good advice that you visit the Friends and Family forum and take care of you. You will be far more help to him if you do that. Take care.