View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Dr Wayne W. Dyer

Moved from the Tears thread -

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing View Post
I too adore Dyer, the play his lectures on my public television station during pledge week, I didn't realize he spoke about addiction!! My favorite quote from him was from a lecture where he was speaking about the fact that he wakes up in the middle of the night,(at the same time every night) but that instead of trying to get back to sleep he gets up and does some of his best writing...
He said, "The morning breeze has secrets to tell you, do not go back to sleep", (I actually think he was quoting someone else... Rumi maybe?)
Anyway, for an insomniac artist like myself this was good advice. Better to rise for awhile and be creative than toss and turn.
I'd like to start reading more from him, do you have suggestions on a book to start with?
Hi Blackbirdsing.

I think that quote may have been Rumi. I always think of that one when I wake early.

He speaks about additions in the 'Being in Balance' book/cds. He admits to having many addictions, mentions drugs, alcohol, sugar, nicotine. He said he did go to rehab once to see what it is like :wtf2

He says that addiction is constantly chasing after something you don't want and never getting enough - how true! I always love to hear his addiction quote from Ram Dass. "If you are already in Detroit, then you don't need a bus to get there". I have never been to Detroit but I get the point.

Over the last couple of years, many days I have listened to the addiction section of Being in balance on my iPod - I think I know much of it off by heart. I think it is probably what keep me sober on the days that I didn't drink.

He has 5 steps for addiction recovery in 'Being in Balance'. I am summarising :-
1. It's all about realignment (with Source/God)

2. Love your addictions (if you fight them, you give them more power over you)

3. Love yourself (e.g. pray gratitude for your body and for the willingness to love it unconditionally)

4. Remove all shame (negative emotions just give the addiction more power.
Everything is in it rightful place. There are no accidents here, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You are meant to be in this low place right now to give you the energy to get to the higher place you are heading.)

5. Live from a new knowing (basically your connection with God. You know he is there with you and the connection is unshakeable.)

In my mind it all fits in very well with the 12 Step programme.

There are 8 other principals in the book for creating habits to match your desires such as There's more to life than making it go faster, Earth's crammed with heaven (I love this one) and you Can't discover light by analyzing darkness. It's a quick, easy read.

I have Inspiration - Your Ultimate Calling and the CD lectures. The book is a much heavier read basically about living in a position of inspiration which is the true meaning of your life.

The Power of Intention (my username) which is about changing the way you look at things and the things you look at will change. All spiritual, connecting with God stuff. A detailed read again also great lectures on CDs. He shares an observation he has framed in his home. I love it and always meant to put it on my fridge. In fact, I am intend to do it today!! (I thank you for leading me to pull this book off the bookshelf today)

Good Morning
This is God
I will be handling
All of your
Problems today
I will not need
Your help, so have
A miraculous day

Excuses Begone book (long/detailed read) and CDs about re-programing your self-defeating thinking habits. Not got round to absorbing this as I have been too drunk ! and making too many excuses !! but I am told it is very good.

10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace. A very easy, quick read. I love the secret "don't die with the music still in you". How many times have I thought of that while life has been on hold due to drinking!

Getting in the Gap - Making conscious contact with God through meditation. Quick read book and meditation CD. I really struggled doing this. I know what Wayne would say - that if I struggle I will never be able to achieve, you have to quit fighting. Step 11 has been very lacking in my recovery which turned to relapse. I need to rethink what I am doing because if nothing changes, nothing changes, right?

Thank you once again for leading me to pull the dusty book off the bookshelf. I need this right now.

Anything else you want to know about the books just ask. I could talk about Wayne Dyer forever. Sorry if have bored anyone.