View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
littlefish

Look guys, the snide remarks and one liners really aren't all that helpful and effective for Daphne.
Having said that, I am a bit nonplussed myself. I find it intriguing that someone can reach the point of damaging their liver from drinking and being advised by their doctor to stop hasn't experienced any of the downsides of excessive alcohol use. (?)

But, on the other hand, we are all different, physically. I have been with other drinkers who could drink a lot more than me and stay standing, and I myself could drink others under the table. Some people can drink excessively and never develop alcohol-related liver disease, others will. Some people can smoke all their lives and never develop lung cancer, others will.

If I may ask Daphne, and I hope you don't consider this out of bounds, about how many units of alcohol do you estimate you drink a week?
I myself find alcohol "measure systems" abysmally inaccurate: saying that a glass of wine is equal to a shot of whiskey simply does not make sense to me, but that is usually how it is done.
By the time I stopped, I was a daily drinker consuming between 10 to 20 units a day.
In my case, I drank a lot of high-alcohol beer in large cans that equalled at least three units, entire bottles of wine and then I had my laboratory experiments with alcohol over 30%.