View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sankalpa

New to the forum, introducing myself

I know it sounds trite but I finally decided to give up drinking for good on New Years day. So I am 8 days sober today. My forum name is a sanskrit word meaning "resolve" because I know that try isn't good enough anymore. I NEED to stop drinking for the good of my health, my relationship, and most of all, my 2 year old daughter.

But, this is incredibly difficult, and although my husband is very supportive I think he has no idea how I am struggling. We went for dinner last night with friends, a lovely restaurant, and I was fine, mostly, with not drinking with dinner (I mostly drank instead of eating, not with food, so it wasn't that difficult), but when we dropped them off at 11 (I was, for a change, the designated driver) and they headed over to their neighbor's to drink more, it was an incredible bummer. I LIKED hanging out with those people and drinking late at night - they were funny, and nice, and also, like me, big drinkers. Can I not ever hang out with them again? Basically we went home, paid the babysitter, my hubby got on the internet, and I went to sleep.

I know it won't always be the case, but it seemed. . .boring. Incredibly boring. And I'm really depressed about it. We're invited to hang out with them again this afternoon, but I just don't feel like going and feeling like a martyr while I resist temptation and everyone else drinks.

Right now, never again seems like an awfully long time. I'm hanging in there, but it's really got me down.

Anyway, thanks for listening.