View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

daphne, I told myself for many years that I had a great life, I was married, have a great son, had a good job, involved in many of my son's activities, had tons of friends, went on many adventures with my family to different state parks, had lots of things I enjoyed. Only one problem, I had been an addict and alcoholic since I was a teenager. All the activities and material things in the world weren't enough . . . I had to medicate. Soon, I went through my second divorce, the friends stopped calling, I lost interest in most activities, kept losing job after job and my son went to live with his father.

You said that the only reason you've planned to stop drinking is for medical reasons. I'm confused here. Is everything in your life that wonderful except for medical issues? I'm not being a smarta$$, just wanting you to consider what I brought up.

As far as miracles and talk of God being inappropriate: In the 25 years that I tried to stop using, I didn't want to hear one word about miracles or God. I felt that if God truly cared about me, I wouldn't be an addict or alcoholic or have all the problems that I did. Once I surrendered to the fact that I don't have it all together and there is a Higher Power out there, someone or something greater than myself, things began to change.

I can't quote any scriptures from the Bible, I don't walk around trying to convert people, but for this addict and alcoholic, if I didn't turn my will and life over to the care of God, I would have been dead many years ago. IMO, if you want to stop drinking for good, you need to have an open mind. Please don't disregard suggestions that people who take the time to share with you, especially people who have been where you are and can happily say that they are in Recovering from this disease of addiction.

God Bless,
Judy