View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
I suppose the thing that I find most interesting is that VERY FEW on this site or the others I have been on are your (or I should say my) prototype stereotypical version of an 'alcoholic' or 'addict'. Either it is severely overused in our society or I've been misled and misinformed. Either way, I suppose that isn't the point here, is it?
Hi Laura,

I shared exactly this in an AA meeting this week. I said that for a long time I was in denial about my alcholism because I am so different from the typical alcoholic and I didn't know if that was because of the social conditioning that I had been subjected to or whether it was my disease cunningly keeping me drinking. I got heads nodding in agreement at the second option.

Many times recently I would see the 'local alkie' in the supermarket at 8am buying a bottle, out all hours and weathers on the streets with a can in his hand, now out of work, partly disabled and I would think "Poor man, he really needs to get to AA". I genuinely felt sorry for him.

And this is from me who blacks out and passes out everytimes she drinks. But I only drink wine, and I have never lost a job from drinking, and I have a house and it is warm and cosy so I don't have to wander the streets, and no-one who knows me would ever know what I get up to with drink.

What I know now is that I am every bit of an alcoholic as he is. I need a programme of recovery every bit as much as he does.

You say you are not ready to quit just yet for you. I understand that but what would make you ready to quit for you? Could you define it - write it down on a piece of paper? What would have you have to lose, what would have to happen ? what event are you waiting for?