View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
wichitalineman

Hi Laura,

I just wanted to take a quick moment of your time to relate my story. Like others have posted on this thread, I also did not start drinking young. I started drinking when I was 22. It would have been inconceivable to my teenage self to hear the fact that I would start drinking in my 20s; I was very straightedge throughout my teenage years (minus the hardcore music, yuk yuk). My parents had alcohol problems when I was growing up...

I've never lost a job, never had a DUI (not that I didn't try), never had anything 'really bad' happen as a consequence of my drinking. I did blackout a bunch, unload emotional grief at entirely the wrong times, and lose steam in my educational and personal goals.

I'm 31 now. I had a huge stigma calling myself an alcoholic. I just had to get over it. I know that it is time to get off this crazy train before the whole thing derails. I know I have a problem because I've been spending an significant amount of time thinking about my problem (probably a good sign, no?), I've had others comment (directly and indirectly) about my problem, and I've tried to stop drinking... and failed. Seems pretty clear to me: I have a problem.

I quit on 12/28/2009. A few days into my latest sobriety sojourn I decided to look around and see if I couldn't find some other people who went through what I am going through now. All I can say is what a gift every single contributor to this site is! Reading these stories, the sadness, the tragedies, the hardships, the renewals, the success... is really enough to make me sit back in awe and be so thankful for such an amazing community of people. Everyone reading this: thank you so much. I am so grateful for everyone on this site!

I haven't lost my job, gone to jail, been involved in/responsible for any huge car wrecks... or worse. I am heeding the warning others are providing.

Truly wishing you nothing but the best in everything you do. Thanks for listening.