View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Blackout threshold

I blackout every time I drink, even if I don't drink to oblivion and actually pass out.

I am not making any excuses for this as I know it is a problem hence the reason I have now quit drinking but I am just curious about something.

My tolerance to alcohol has gone up over time in that I need more to get drunk but my threshold at which I blackout has lowered.

A few times recently I have been out for social meals and because I am in company I only have maximum 3 glasses of wine. I know from what people have told me that I appeared fine, a little tipsy but just like everyone else but I have no recollection of anything after those drinks until I sober up a couple of hours later.

Has alcohol damaged my brain? I have been reading about P.A.W.S. and a few months ago I did 6 weeks sober and I noticed real problems with my short term memory, in that I was forgetting things from 5 minutes ago and it was really frustrating.

I ask this because I spoke to another alcoholic today who experienced blackouts really quickly after a couple of drinks and they never used to.

Any thoughts or explanations of this would be appreciated. Thanks.