Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Ghostman
New Guy!

Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Hi there
Looking for some motivation to stop drinking.
My story in brief
I have drank since I was 14. My social life involves wine and lots of it.
Wow we have had some great times.
I love alcohol.
I have a great social life,enjoyable career, great relationships, great family/kids and should be in my prime. I am successful and an intellegent likeable woman (so they say ).
A few years ago a health problem highlighted problems with my liver function, Multitude of tests revealed no clear diagnosis. I was told in Aug to quit alcohol and I did for 6 long weeks. I would love to say I felt great but I did not, I missed my drink!. A demotivator was my blood results did not get better with abstenance.

I am now back drinking again despite have 3 health conditions that state I shouldn't. Over the years my tolerance has increased and my overall consupmtion with it.

This made me realise how dependant I am on it. I crave a drink on my return from work every evening. I even want a drink when I am ill. I drink to celebrate and sypathise. I drink to drown my sorrows and to count my blessings. I drink to cure a hangover. I reward myself with drink. I drink because life is too short. I drink because I am happy and because I am sad. I drink. You get the idea!!

Having worked professionally in this field (psychology) I am relectant to seek help. I know and preach all the theories about behaviour change. I am too embarssed by the stigma to seek support.
Can I or should i stop all together OR cut down? Tried both too hard
The thought of a life without alcohol seems one boring life.A long dry road into a social desert i do not want to go down.
Sure I have done the odd thing I regret when drunk in the past (i.e.sex) but I have never had any blackouts or humiliating experiences. Alcohol has honestly given me more joy and fun than problems.
I know however if I carry on drinking my health will be seriously effected and the docs have told me to quit completely.
Any ideas?
Anyone relate to my situation
Thanks for listening/reading guys
Yes, I never had that problem myself until just recently!!
I don't drink hard liquor, just beer, always beer.
But recently, I had been doing it more and more, and this is the first time I had difficulty slowing down!
I am glad I found this site, cause I see others have the same issues..
By the way, I hope you drink lots of water? Because weather you drink or not, it will help flush out your liver.

Oh and Scotland is very nice by the way, I had been there a few times, I used to live near London when I was a kid.

Take Care.