Thread: Reality!!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sunset2000
Sober Date 12/21/09

Hi LKK,

I could have written your post word for word, well except for the sponsor and job interview part. Anyway, I too was, and am, surprised at how little I desire to drink again. It feels like somehow I just finally "got it", and I have SR to thank for that.

I'm only about 19 days sober but I can already tell things are, and will continue to be, different. For a long time I really resisted the notion of being "one of those people" who could never drink again. The very thought of it seemed so unrealistic and pathetic. But after being on SR for about 3 weeks I have "seen the light". I see now how my drinking progressively got worse, how my mental and physical health was deteriorating, how I was losing closeness with friends and family and most importantly, bad things were starting to happen when I drank.

And I, like you, have realized it was all a sophisticated (or not) form of avoidance. Now that I'm having to actually deal with all the things I was so desperately trying to avoid, I find it challenging and difficult. But I also know that going back to the bottle will be the ultimate failure and doom. It will mean I've given up on life. And I'm just not ready to do that. Especially since I see now how wonderful a sober life can be. For the first time in many many years I am actually excited about a new future.

I look forward to taking this journey with you and look forward to my 60 days and your 90. :-)