Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
daphne

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Daphne, I wish you all the best, so much of what you say here is what I would have said 10 years ago.

Downing any method of recovery helps no one.

Stating reasons that a certain program will not work for one even though they have ever tried it, is the same thing as saying "I would never send my child to that school even though one has never even walked into the building or spoken to anyone who has had a child got to that school.

Honesty, open minded, & willing, the keys to all recovery, no matter the program.
Hi there
I did not mean those "recovered" (wording fits the disease model) were still victims? I said the disease model encourages people to see themselves as ILL (victim role) who need CURED
I also never suggested alcoholics are poor or vagrants! Quite the opposite I said all drinkers are unique individuals , everyone has an unique experience.
The problem I have with AA evangelical stance is those members of AA assume THEIR experience is the same as other people's who drink
I think that is narrow minded patronising and does not demonstrate true empathy.
Just because your drinking followed a certain pattern does not mean others will. Its reductionist and does not reflect the diversity of alcohol misuse.

I have read lots about AA now and have worked in the past with a few workers who have been through the programme. The issues with these workers as professionals in the field, was they lacked objectivity as they assumed that the drinkers they worked with were just like them, and would end up like them without the saviour of AA/god.

I am a little insulted by the suggestion I am closed minded. Read a lot on the internet that AA as an organisation does not take any criticism well.
The difference between you and I is that I believe critical anyalsis of any method of recovery is a positive thing. Its a bit more complex than "downing" an method.
Also to suggest nobody can understand something fully without direct experience is surely wrong .To use your example, I can research the best school for my child in great depth, talk to others etc without having to walk through the doors .
People can make informed choices and give sound opinions without having experienced it directly. Infact it often leads to a more objective viewpoint than those who have been through something themselves.