Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by BrotherIsLoser View Post
Tyler: Perhaps you can elaborate more about what inspired you to quit. As for my brother, I don't understand why he would do this for years when it seems like he lives every day the same - in a drug induced joyless reality.
I really wish I could help you there. Honestly I don't totally understand it myself. I just finally got to the point where I couldn't do it any longer. There wasn't any particular "event" that happened to me to make me realize this. I just knew that my future was my present, and I didn't like my present. I realized that if I continued this way, eventually I'd just give up and would kill myself, and I wouldn't screw it up twice. I'd think that senerio through and just couldn't stand what it would to to my parents and more importantly, my young son. That would *uck him up for the rest of his life. Not even I could be that selfish. This put me into a tough spot. I hated where I was and was afraid of what the future held. My only option was to change.

It still sounds to me like he may have some mental health issues going on. I know I did, and all the meds they tried didn't do shyte until I stopped using. It's nothing short of amazing the difference has made. I've only got 8 months clean, so I've got a long way to go, but it is the most time I've EVER put together in over 20 years. Perhaps an orgainzed intervention, where everyone honestly shared their feelings with him in an effort for him to get help, might work. Overall, I'm not a big fan of them, but somehow ya'll have to get his attention. Even as I continued to smoke, at least I hid it from everyone instead of throwing it in their face.

I really wish I could answer your question better, but really it was just an accumulation of many things. I was finally "ready". I hope he gets there too.

BTW, there is absolutly nothing "fair" about addiction. Those who suggested moving out, myself included, were only suggesting that you take control of what you can control. You can't control his using, you can't control how your parents deal with it, all you can control is your own life, and that is enough of a challenge. Perhaps if you decided to move out it would show your parents how much this was really wrong. Bottom line is, addiction sucks for all parties involved. Take care.