Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
daphne

decision

morning/evening where ever you are
read a bit more last night and have had a bit more self realization
thinking about my wonderful friends , sisters and awesome kids (they are really great kids ) I have decided I must try to grow up and put my health first
This does not come naturally to me
I am not much good at this mind body connection thing. I had an eating disorder where I would forcefully make myself vomit twice a day for around 10 years plus, so you can imagine that feeling physically dreadful does not bother me that much ( thus hangovers were just part of the deal I put up with and carried on normally)

I have abused my body over the years in various ways so am rather immune to feeling in touch with it so to speak

I was thinking of setting Monday as my start date for stopping booze. I have hardly drunk this week ( I know some people here thought that was a pathetic claim of success) and will try to have minimal alcohol over the weekend.

Reluctant in a way to set my self up with a start date as may not be successful. I will not lie about my drinking ( I have never hidden drink or pretended to others I don't drink ......quite the opposite strange eh) But honesty is a value I hold very strongly. when I gave up last time I kept having to explain I wasn't drinking which amused and bemused many as i was the "party animal" in our crowd. No problem with giving them a reason as said was my health and meds I was on.

Is it useful to set another target ? e.g I will abstain until end Jan or end Feb
Thats how I did the 6 weeks before i set my a target at 2 months so nearly made it!
I am struggling with longer term already I have a big social event at end Feb with friends that I cannot imagine not drinking at
I have a holiday in France in the summer with family and friends , one of the reasons we go is the french wine (and food)
Again that without the wine will not be the same

Sure you guys on here will have the experience and advice to help me tackle this