Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bugsmum
little darlin'

So, I read your post earlier this afternoon and wanted to respond but decided to wait because I wanted to think about it for a while.... I have to tell you that originally I was quite offended by much of what you had to say. Not to say that you aren't completely entitled to your feelings and your viewpoint, but I think your being a little harsh. Perhaps I feel this way because I'm an addict myself (currently in recovery) and I tend to sympathize with other addicts. However, I'm also the sister of an addict. A couple of addicts, in fact. Two of them are still in active addiction and one passed away 2 years ago as a direct result of his addiction. He reached out to me for help approx. 6 months before he died and I turned him away because I was sick of the drama and didn't want to subject my teenage daughter to it. This is a decision I regret, but have to live with forever. I honestly hope with all of my heart that this never happens to you, but I felt I needed to point it out to you as you've indicated that there are only 3 options for your addicted brother... institution, jail/prison, or rehab. I beg to differ. There is always death. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, really... I just want to offer you a different perspective. I would hate for this to be your reality. It doesn't feel so good. Please consider some empathy and understanding.