Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

The only people who can possibly understand an alcoholic is another alcoholic. For an alcoholic there can be NO such thing as moderation management or none of that bullsh*t. Total abstinence is the only way to arrest the beast. Much work is then required to maintain a decent mental wellbeing so that all the mental triggers/defects (or whatever term you want to use) can be addressed, managed and changed so that one does not feel the compulsion to use alcohol in their lives anymore. This is where AA and SR are vital. (Or any 'recovery' method that actually works if you ‘work it!.!) The appt word being ‘work’. It ain’t easy and can be incredibly raw and deeply difficult at times as we accept that we have to change our thinking/outlook/psyche to a great extent or else we will drink again

No medical professor or psychologist or genius can possibly understand alcoholism. Only someone who has been there themselves and knows the score and has then found the solution knows the answer to solving this crippling condition that will kill you and take every ounce of self-respect and dignity you have with it.
I choose to listen to fellow 'recovering' alcoholics who know the score. Some of these people who I respect and take wisdom were living homeless and drinking hand-sanitizer from hospitals to stop the shakes. They were once Like you are too... only for their alcoholism to progress until they lost everything. Of course you probably aren't an alcoholic so you will think what all us 'recovering alcoholics' are telling you is a load of b*llocks. So you can keep drinking and why wouldn't you?

There is a reason that the majority of recovering 'alcoholics' and drug addicts think along similar lines about the nature of the beast of alcoholism and the solution required to actually maintain a serene and peaceful sobriety. We are only telling you our own experiences and what has worked for us.

Alcoholism is progressive. It doesn’t take a genius to work that one out.

Don't forget that the majority of alcoholics don't recovery and take it to the grave. I weren’t gonna bother posting in this thread. No disrespect to you and I sincerely mean that. I say that because the persons desire to quit has to be greater than there will to want to still drink/use. That only comes from beating yourself down to such a low level, be it physically or mentally/emotionally. I hope you don’t have to go there until you finally see what the score is. Like I said before you probably never will as most people don’t as most people aren’t alcoholics. But most people who are alcoholics denied it until it killed them.

All I know is that I'm an alcoholic and that I'm glad I don't have any of this mental insanity left in my life since I surrendered to king alcohol who I had the sense to see was way more powerfull than I could ever be.

All the Best