Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
daphne

[/QUOTE]
You claim to be in the medical profession correct?

How can one be in the medical proffession and deny hundreds of long term scientific & medical studies that indicate that alcoholism is a disease?

Are you beneath having a disease? My God what if you were a diabetic, would you deny all medical and scientific knowledge about diabetes and its treatment and just keeping on downing the sugars and refusing to take insulin?

Reread what I said above........................... now let us just say that alcoholism is just a bad habit, forget the disease thing. Now you are seeing your liver beginning to go down hill, but you could care less right?

Okay smoking, another habit, on that we all agree on, or we are reading this from a mental ward, do you smoke?[/
QUOTE]

Hi there

No I am not a medical professional , never said I was, my background is social psychology and I used to work with "problem" families many of whom were "alcoholic or drug addicts
I have never suggested I was "above" or too good for anything
I just do not think seeing drinking as a disease does not promote personal agancy and enourages a victimn mentality
My grandfather was a vagrant and my estranged father ended up a homeless drinker. Even with this history I do not feel it contributes to why how or when I drink, that is my choice. Similarly I do not think alcohol has some supernatural powers which can perusde, con or trick me into drinking.
I have also been trying to get across that there are varying degrees of drink problems. It does NOT progress in same way for everyone. Not every problem drinker loses it all , not all drinkers end up dying a lonely and painful death and not all drinks need AA.
I have never smoked but did other drugs in the past