View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
franfranks

Agree with most of it but...

Hi, I agree with most of it but have a problem with the following...

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

What about people with an undiagnosed depressive condition? They will find it nearly impossible to make their minds up to be happy on a daily basis or any kind of basis. Coming from Abraham lincoln who was widely believed to have suffered from long bouts of clinical depression it's a bit rich.

Also...

I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

I spent 4 weeks in a 12 step based group therapy rehab being told again and again and again ''be honest with your feelings'' ''group therapy is practice for the real world''. One of my biggest failings was pinpointed that I let people walk all over me because I found it difficult to express my true emotions for fear of rejection. Since then I have been making a daily effort to express myself when I felt wronged, so this bit of the card seems totally contrary to what I learnt in treatment.

Anyway, the rest of it seems like good practical advice i can apply to my recovery on a daily basis.

Thanks for posting