Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Jules62

To unravel and relearn non drinking behaviour that has been reinforced over 30 years is a mammoth task. I have already identified the triggers to my less socialable drinking habits- the 2 hours when I get in from work before my partner get homes is when I start to drink.
Sure it's a big task but it's not impossible.If you look around you'll find there's hundreds of us that have done it.

Reading your responses here I can't but help think you have one of the worst symptoms of this disease(that I did too btw) - you think you're special.No one has had it quite as bad or difficult as you.So you have an excuse to keep drinking.No one could possibly understand what it's like to you and you're nothing like those lower socio economic people who drink out of brown paper bags on the street!You're not THAT bad....

I'm not actually criticising you-I'm just saying I used to think exactly like that too.But the fact is-alcohol almost took my entire life.All my joy.All my sanity.All my hope.

There is no 'us and them'.I can be as horribly drunk in a million dollar apartment as I can on the street.My behaviour is still sh*tty regardless.

There's just you and me and countless others here addicted and doing our best to help each other.I hope you decide to jump in too.There's a ton of support here when you let go of all the pre conceived ideas about what this is.We're just people, trying to live whole lives without alcohol.Status, jobs, money....means nothing in the end.It's a great equalizer.

My best to you,
Jules.