Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
vegibean

Originally Posted by daphne View Post
thanks for the advice and support guys
I have been reading other threads and noticed lot of reference to god. I am an out and out athieist. One of the things that stopped me reading the 12 steps and put me off AA was its religious references. Is this wrong?
I see the solution to reducing/stopping drinking soley within me, not some higher being or spirital guide.
I am a great believer that alcoholism/dependency is learned rather than a disease or illness.
I blame myself for drinking too much.Its my fault nobody elses. My fault I have damaged myself.
I made choices and learned to love drink , I was not born that way or made to drink.
One of the thing that bugged me when I worked with alcoholics was their "victim" status. "Sorry its not my fault I cannot help it I am an alcoholic" was churned out time after time. I don't want use any support that support the disease model of alcohol problems . Does that make sense?
Daphne, I am also an atheist. I am a huge fan of the steps. Spiritual living doesn't necessarily mean believing in a "god" as it means living a life of consciousness and being aware of what we do, being accountable, doing the right thing for ourselves and others.

I work in a Women's Treatment Facility and I love my job!! I am constantly counseling girls with their issues and I try to help guide them when I'm needed and remind them "no one or nothing makes us pick up other than ourselves." However it is a disease. It's not like cancer or diabetes but I know a lot of people wouldn't miss a chemotherapy appointment or not take their insulin if a doctor told them to.

I'm sure you're getting frustrated with some of the posts but I can tell you that the people that have posted to you are all well meaning and are hopeful for you.

Good luck with everything daphne.