Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
daphne

Originally Posted by littlestranger View Post
Hi Daphne,

There's lots of good advice in the previous posts.

Many of us were ashamed and scared to admit that there was something off about their alcohol consumption, and quite honestly, the label doesn't matter, alcoholic, alcohol dependent, whatever you name it.

I so agree with this sentiment

Also, this does affect all kinds of people: academics, working class people,teachers homeless people, doctors, people from a wide range of education, social background and age and drinking patterns. Some have lost their job, their health, their money, some got DUIs, some landed in jail, some have gotten severe health problems, some haven't experienced any of this. Yet.
I have researched and taught on alcohol courses so am very aware that the stereotyping of drinkers is common

Nearly seven months ago I couldn't imagine a fine meal, a social event, an evening after a stressful day without alcohol. Yet, today I even enjoy it more. It is possible to cope with stressful situations and pain but also as possible to enjoy life and have fun without alcohol. It requires some work. but it isw all worth it. You can do it too Hugs, and take care, S.
This is me to a T. I cannot imagine a good fun interesting life without drink. I live in a culture in which alcohol is central. Not to drink is social leprocacy. The kind of people who don't drink are not my type. They are uptight boring and cannot let themselves go. They have issues to hide which they fear may come out when drunk. YES i know its all defensive stereotyping I am doing to disaaociate myself from non drinkers!!!
Do you think you will ever go back to drink Is it always an all or nothing thing? Seems very black and white . I would feel better knowing I could drink but only on big social occasions, did you not consider that option?