Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Daphne,

There's lots of good advice in the previous posts.

Many of us were ashamed and scared to admit that there was something off about their alcohol consumption, and quite honestly, the label doesn't matter, alcoholic, alcohol dependent, whatever you name it.

Also, this does affect all kinds of people: academics, working class people,teachers homeless people, doctors, people from a wide range of education, social background and age and drinking patterns. Some have lost their job, their health, their money, some got DUIs, some landed in jail, some have gotten severe health problems, some haven't experienced any of this. Yet.

The common denominator is that if you have tried to moderate or to abstain and have had a very difficult time doing so, experiencing obsessing about drinking while quitting, physical or mental withdrawal and cravings, it is very likely that you cannot stay quit without working some kind of program, be it A.A., SMART recovery or Life Ring. I agree with those who say that the people at meetings are there for the same reasons, and they were probably equally scared sh*tless at their first meeting as you are now.

My life has its flaws under the surface. Its a great life NOW as I have worked hard to make it that way, but I have had a LOT of hurt ,loss and pain
I can relate to this, and for me at least some of my drinking was numbing out those things. Getting sober involved adressing the underlying issues and it was only afterwards that I realized that alcohol deprived me of a real chance to adress these issues and to develop healthy coping mechanisms.

If your health is already compromised, and you continue drinking, at some point your health will deteriorate more and the damage will at some point be irreversible. If you decide to become sober and stay sober, chances are prob ably good that your liver will recover. You also give yourself the possibility top find out what other things besides alcohol are making you feel good and make you enjoy life.

Nearly seven months ago I couldn't imagine a fine meal, a social event, an evening after a stressful day without alcohol. Yet, today I even enjoy it more. It is possible to cope with stressful situations and pain but also as possible to enjoy life and have fun without alcohol. It requires some work. but it isw all worth it. You can do it too Hugs, and take care, S.

Last edited by Lionne; 01-06-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: quote/unquote didn't work for some reason