View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Horselover

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
Man can I relate. 33 here, laid off for over a year and still collecting unemployment set to expire in next month unless there is another extension. Although I never got a DUI, I should have - even passed a field sobriety test by the grace of God and got a fender bender ticket.

I guess my point is that I spent over a year feeling sorry for myself, being pissed at myself for losing a job that paid me over $100k a year (company car, prize vacations, etc. - it still hurts to think/type about it), and drowning my sorrows in alcohol. But then I decided enough was enough - no more drinking and no more activities I associated with drinking (I had gotten in too deep for the last four years with both). Little by little, I began to feel better and little by little I started to focus on the things I do have in my life.

38 is still young, man. You can do whatever you want in this life - the question is are you willing to put in the effort? I'm having trouble finding a job but lately I've been revisiting my childhood dream of becoming a physician. Can you believe that sheet??? Less than a month a go I was getting drunk playing video games...VIDEO GAMES, now I'm contemplating medical school!!!

Congrats on the 5 days, the first week was the hardest for me so far (only at 21 days). Keep fighting the good fight and posting here to vent. You help more than just yourself by venting...so thank you and best wishes.
This was a brilliant post and I just highlighted only 2 things out of this post that I wanted to add something to.

#1. Gratitude is key. Gratitude will keep you moving forward and will stop your head from turning around and checking the past.

#2. Attitude. This poster has an excellent attitude and just look what his change in attitude has accomplished for him. He went from video games to contemplating medical school. Thoughts are so powerful and can determine the direction of your future.

Godspeed with your recovery and just go with the flow until all the currents calm down. They will calm down. You are so very young and think of all the amazing people before you that failed only to succeed later in life.

When you have 1 min 18 seconds take a look at this powerful video. Never ever give up!

YouTube - Life=Risk--Motivation