Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
On my path.

Daphne -

I started drinking when I went to college. I drank in a normal even responsible way (e.i. designated driver, watched out for roomies, etc.).

Became a 'yearly' drinker. I drank at least once a year at Christmas, watching the Vikings lose yet another game. I bet I drank less than a sixpack a year from 1985-2004.

My adoptive son began having rages in 2005. Violent, terrible rages. Alcohol helped to numb my own confusion and fear after these rages. Drinking became a way of coping. It seemed to help me with the problems I was having in life.

Summer of 2009 - son physically abusing other children, child protection had to come and investigate. I stopped all self-care. Depressed and preoccupied with what might happen to my beautiful family, because of my mentally ill little boy. I could not sleep. Guess what, drinking eased my racing distressed mind.

I went to see a therapist. She doesn't think I am an alcoholic, just a situational drinker. I really don't care what her label or definition for me is. Here is my bottom line. Alcohol BECAME a problem in my life. I was using it to cope and it began to cause problems, not solve them.

Your liver is damaged. Is alcohol a problem for you or not?

Please read, read, read and read some more here. There are so many wise folks roaming about.