Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ElegantlyWasted
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

You have a decision to make. Either give up and continue to drink or figure out a way to quit or moderate. Six weeks is a relatively short period considering you have been drinking for years and is is ver ingrained in your MO. Most people need about six months before new behaviors gain real traction and become part of your MO and not a forced behavior.

As to working in the field of psychology... Do you have anyone you can trust who would be for support. How about family and other friends? Don't fixate on "stigma", but rather what is best for you and what you really want. If you choose to continue drinking, no worries. It really is a decision. Some good old fashioned AA may work for you as well. My guess is that to change you need a couple months of focused work to change your old behavior patterns. Find other activities that you think you will/might enjoy and commit to them for a period of time. Focus/meditate on the positive things that will happen if you do manage sustained abstinance for a while. Read and post here. You can make it work it may not be easy, but it can be done. Do you best to call yurself out on rationalization to continue use. "stigma" sets off my bs detector big time. Those involved in psychiatry (especially those who focus on addiction) know that addiction is difficult to overcome, involves alot of rationalization on your part and will not hold it against you. Best of luck. I'm in month six now and just starting to feel really good being around peoply at parties where alcohol is served. I feel loose and in the moment and have fun without faking it. I've finally really realized through experience that "needing" a drink to have fun was a complete and utter lie to my self (rationalization fueled by denial). You can pick your own bottom; you don't have to, but you can.