View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Hey man. It sounds like you are gonna need to get to an AA meeting because that may make you see that there is a way out by meeting fellow recovering alcoholics who were in similar situations and some who were undoubtably in much worse situations (there is ALWAYS someone worse off although of course it never seems like it when your in that despair yourself.)

You sound like you are struggling to see a way out at the minute and only have the activity of getting smashed to block out your depression in your days. Seeing that there is a way out in person and then taking down recovering alclholics numbers may help give you some hope.

What I found is that I have had to move the goalposts for what I can expect to get out of life at the moment. You have to 'live in the solution and not in the problem' ie- try to realise that that former life has now gone for good and that you can either wallow about it or accept the facts and try to put a strategy together to try to rebuild your life back up piece by piece remembering that your goalposts have changed so just keeping sober each day is your most important goal in life untill you can get out of the haze of the binging cycle and try to rebuild your life/career etc.

First and foremost though if you are to get anywhere you have to gain total acceptance of your condition ie- alcoholism, before you will be able to move onwards and upwards otherwise you will just be stuck in the same vicious cycle forever.

Get to an AA meeting to at least make a step ina forwards movement and if you think it's b*llocks then at least you tried. SR is also great but I think untill you manage to see that there is a way out with your own eyes then it might not be enough IMO.

All the best.