View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
gndrdo14

I am a binge drinker. For me, there is a binge in every bottle, and although I know I should not, I kept bringing the bottles home. I would set up rules for myself, like not drinking before a work day or only having so many drinks (which I would stick to yet increase the liquor content). At drink number four, my mind would scream at me to stop since I know that after four, I am not stopping until it (the bottle) is done. This is regardless of knowing how terrible I am going to feel the next day, or remembering the consequences of my actions from previous binges. This is also in spite of knowing that I will most likely not recall what terrible things I did while drinking. A few days/weeks (it has been a while since I did not have alcohol in months) after the binge, I stop feeling so remorseful and guilty, and start all over again. It is a self-destructive cycle that will only continue to progress if I do not stop.

I absolutely have no idea why some can have a drink here or there, but I feel the need to finish what I start. I feel the same way about food (dessert is gone in a day) and money (like to run up the credit). For me, most everything is all or none.

I have been reading the posts all day today and have found many others who think like I do: Maybe this time I will be able to drink like a "normal" person. For a few days, yes, but ultimately, no.