View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by LadySlur View Post
Thanks, you guys. I really appreciate all the encouraging posts. It's comforting to know that people at least as bad off as me have done it. It's just hard to try again knowing the odds of failure (hence my interest in managing the problem). But I am going to try again... tomorrow.
I've often wondered about the "odds of failure" with sobriety. I think alot of people look at those statistics and let it be an excuse for failure. I certainly don't want to come off all high and mighty here, because I failed time and time again. I think I often "let myself off" though, saying "it's just impossible, I can't do it." The truth was I didn't want to put the effort that was required in.

The nice thing about the odds of success with sobriety is that you have a good deal of control over them. It's not like Vegas where you have to either be very luck or skilled, or more typically a combination of both. You just have to want it more than anything else. I didn't want that for a long time. I actually told my wife (now ex) that I wanted to continue getting high more than I wanted to be with her. If there were one statement I've ever made in my life I could take back, that would be it. But the sad thing is, at that point it was true. And I got my wish. It's not my wish anymore.

I guess my point is much the same as others have mentioned, it's not just about wanting it, it's about taking the necessary to succeed with it. If that's not AA, that's cool, but you need to take action to achieve your goal. Be willing to stick with whatever you choose until it works.

Pretty much all methods of recovery are based around one concept, don't drink, no matter what. How you deal with the feelings and emotions that come from that simple concept are where the many recovery programs differ. AA feels it's a spiritual problem with a spiritual solution. SMART looks at it more medically based and tries to help combat urges with logic and reason. Theripists often use a mix of both or other methods. But at the end of the day it really that 2 step process. 1) Don't drink. 2) Repeat step one.

I hope you find what you are looking for here. It is a great place with many diverse ideas and opinions. Some folks can get a bet "zealous" with their advice at times, but they do mean well. For the most part, this is where I found my "recovery". It's an ongoing process, but at least I don't just feel like I'm uselessly spinning my wheels, stuck forever in the same place. Take care.