View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hopper1

Mama,

In my twentys and thirtys, all I did was party. My XH and I lived for the weekends. The older I got, the less I wanted to party and the less I could tolerate friends that did. I think I was growing up and the rest weren't. Maybe this is whats happening to you, not sure? The thing I noticed in your situation is, its your family that is doing it as well. My XH's family loved to drink...my family is a bunch of recovering alcholics. I not only divorsed my husband but I also divorsed all my friends that chose him over me. They chose him because I cleaned up my act and he didn't. These were friends that he aquired thru me. These were my friends that I have known since kindergarden and some even younger. It was really tough for me for awhile, knowing that I lost all my good friends but in reality...they weren't as good of friends that I thought they were. I am much happier without all that partying going on. I now have friends that don't drink at all. Actually when I think about it...none of my new friends drink....life is good!

I still do have one friend that is a really bad A...but I hang up on him if he calls me drunk. I tell him to call me sober...click.Its repulsive to me! I might not hear from him for a few months but eventually he calls me sober. I don't need people like him bringing me down. Its taken me a long time to realize that he really is a downer. His life revolves around drama and I don't need it. When he is sober, we do things and have a great time. The times are getting further and further apart. I can't trust him even when he is sober now. He now lies when he is sober to cover up a story he told when he was drunk. What kind of friendship is that> Its not a healthy one.

I think you need to seperate yourself from the times that involve alcohol..wether its family or friends.

I am new to this forum and usually am just a lerker..but your post hit home with me.

Good luck to you on what ever road you choose to take!