View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
That's why I say now I'm not sure whether
to stop all things that were previously associated with alcohol. I mean I used to take a couple of beers in my pack when I went hiking and drink them as a reward when I reached the summit. Hiking is a good outlet for me, but again when I go I feel like drinking afterwards. Should one stop all things that involved alcohol until one is 1 year clean persay?
~~~~~~~
I've been having some tech problems so don't know if the quote I tried to include in this looks right.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it is highly recommended that activities that trigger cravings for alcohol be avoided, especially early on. You said you felt like drinking after hiking since you that's what you did before? I'd put the hiking on hold for now. Try jogging or working out or any other physical activity instead.

Sobriety is not a condemnation or death sentence - it's absolutely the opposite, especially from a health persective. Living in recovery is a new way of life with a whole new kind of adventure and satisfaction.

The "one year" mark that you mentioned is commonly used as a gauge - it's not the same for everyone.

Re: When I got sober, I was a regular (daily) smoker. My counselor advised me not to quit too many things at once and recommended I focus on the not drinking first. He was right. When I was comfortable, and due to a medical condition, I quit smoking and don't feel the urgency of not having either one.

Besides, in time, won't hiking be so much better without the shortness of breath??

We all need to find our own path and in our own time. Congratulations on your new journey in this new year! I wish all the best to you...