View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kittyboo

I totally agree with MyAwakening.... I have become super senstitive to others drinking. And it seems that whenever I see someone pick up a drink I wonder, somewhere deep down, are they an alcoholic? I don't think this has become a good trait in myself.
And I do also feel that our society is consumed with the idea of drinking. Corporate America thrives off of liquor sales.

Since I have returned to college I am amazed and horrified at the amount of teens and 20 something students who think it's so "cool" to go out and drink, they boast about it, and boast about driving home after a party. It's sickening.

I used to drink in my 20's, yes I would go out and get drunk, and I can't recall on any occassion where ANYTHING good EVER came out of the fact that I got drunk.

I don't drink right now, have no desire to. Mostly I don't drink because alcohol will enhance my sadness. Until I become more emotionally balanced, I won't pick up a drink. I simply mean, even having a glass of wine with dinner. I just know how alcohol effects me. I have done enough crying without it this year!!

I will be moving home in 4 months, and my friends for the most part are social drinkers. I don't associate alcoholism with any of them. Though now, after doing all of the reading I have, I am less likely to go to bars and get drunk with them. My focus is on other things at this point.

As far as wanting to cut off contact with those in your life who do drink to excess....well, if it were me, and anyone was affecting my life in a truly negative way due to thier drinking (or really anything), I would probably distance myself. If it was something that had a constant negative impact on my happiness, health, well being, then I would cut contact.

I have chosen to distance myself from people who actually haven't even done anything wrong to me, but because in this moment I am doing what I can to rebuild myself, and focus on my happiness, I have had do cut down on contact with people who I know have a connection to my XA.
You just have to do whatever you need to do for you to preserve your health and happiness. Atleast this is how I have come to feel.

Happy New Year to you!