View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
watsonc

Happy New Year Hansen: My quit date was Oct 17th, so I'm in the same timezone as you so to speak. I hear you on the boring part. My reality is that the drinking was getting pretty boring too.

I'm 47, realized that drinking was the only thing in the day that I looked forward to - i.e. I was drinking out of boredem I believe. Weekends I'd start with wine at noon, eat a big meal at 2:00, and nap - I'd lost the ability to enjoy things, reading, etc., generally felt depressed. Like you, I've a good career, money, and am a fabulous employee. No outward signs to anyone.

I'm starting to see finally who I am; I have less self-loathing, less depression - way less anxiety in business meetings, face flushing etc. - I feel more in control of life and can finally find other things to focus on and enjoy. Granted, I've been living in a pretty secluded way; never much of a socializer anyway, just a "stay home alcoholic"! True, if I were to be around people making merry with drinking, it'd be damned tough and I'd find it boring. I keep trying to tell myself that I've had enough alcohol for 50 people for a lifetime (at least!), and that its okay to enter a new phase of "being".

Hope you stick it out. Everyday I fight the demon to have a drink. Am hoping that 2010 is all around better news for me that 2009 was.

New Year hug to you,
Claire