View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by LadySlur View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I stuck around AA for 90 days, had a sponsor, worked the steps and went to different meetings every day. It didn't help at all.
I attempted a lot of things to quit, moderate or at least decrease the consequences of my drinking. I was on antabuse for awhile. I did therapy. I studied religion. I had several geographical and relationship cures I was sure would work. I collected a whole library of self-help books. You name it, I tried it. Maybe one or more of them would have worked, but I wasn't very good at sticking with any of them, so I can't say.

When I came to AA the last time (there were several other encounters over the years), I made myself a promise. The 12th step mentions "practicing these principles in all our affairs." I promised myself I would stick with it long enough to see how that would work out, how my life and my view of life might change once I had something to practice.

I quoted from your post in order to ask: in 90 days, did you drink? In 90 days, did you take all 12 steps and begin practicing each of them in your daily life? In 90 days, did you take all 12 steps consecutively in complete abstinence?

Quite a lot of people relapse in the midst of the steps and balk at starting over, but I can't see how, in my experience with them, that I could have taken a drink in the midst and continued on as if nothing had happened. The "miracle" requires, I believe, consistent effort and continued abstinence.

So, if you can answer no, yes and yes in the above, then okay. You tried AA and found it lacking. If your answers are any different than no, yes and yes, then I urge you not to cross it off your list yet because you haven't really tried it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah