View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
thirtybubba
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi HercT, and anybody else who's been new since I took off... I'm sure there are plenty.

Well, I've been sober for 9 days now, after a few weeks of reestablishing that I can become dependent quickly. School's over, and I did alright, considering I've gone through withdrawals about 10 times during the semester... actually I did pretty good anyways.

This time around, I got kind of shoved into sobriety. I was fairly despondent one night... or a few maybe, that I was never going to get back off the bottle. The next night I was driven to an AA meeting, which was a good thing because I had about a liter of bourbon in me. Ever since, I've been trying, getting involved in the AA process--not just going to meetings--and have a sponsor who I have to call every day and who takes me to meetings.

I don't know how these meetings are different, maybe it's because I came *with* someone, but everybody is much more friendly now. Before, I was pretty much ignored at meetings on a routine basis. Don't think it should be different, but it is. And if not for SR, it probably wouldn't have happened--I don't know anybody here, sober or otherwise. When I called the local AA, they told me they don't give rides. That just up and changed when someone from here called them... I guess it's who you know...

Not trying to dissuade anybody from going, just saying my own experience. But this time round it's much, much, much better.

I've had ups and downs, sure, and one day I was convinced my body was going to not let me get away with denying it what it's had for so long... but steady eating candies and hoping the physical cravings go away. It's also easier to stay sober, because I only have to pull off most of the day--the sponsor'll be by to pick me up soon enough.

Anyways, that was a little long, but that's what I've been up to since I took off in shame. Didn't want to post again till I was pretty sure it was going to take, at least for a while.

Take care,
TB, lethargic as all get out but still sober