View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Goals for the New Decade

I say goals because, seriously, does anyone ever follow through with "resolutions"?? :-)

Anyway, as the decade draws to a close I've been reflecting upon it. Overall, for me at least, it was pretty ******. Rehab stints, mental hospitals, suicide attempts, divorce, bankruptcy, the lose of pretty much all of my physical possessions, continuing down a path of reckless self-destruction, hurting all of the folks around me how care for me and love me. Ya'll get the idea, I know many of us share similar stories.

It wasn't all bad though. My son was born at the start of the decade, and as it draws to a close, I have almost 8 months of clean time under my belt. It's just that period between the two where things were pretty messed up. I try not to dwell on it much anymore, what's done is done, and all I can do now is try to do better. So these are some of my goals for the next decade, I hope you share your's as well. I may not accomplish all of them, but it won't be because I didn't try.

I will work every day to be a better person than I was the day before. Only looking back for guidence on where I can improve.

I will become a father to my son. Not just a voice on the phone who's name is "Daddy", but a positive influence in his life, in any way possible.

I will work on becoming more patient in all areas of my life, learning that I will not always get my way, and that it is not a bad thing. Accepting circumstances for what they are and understanding that I will not understand everything.

I will work to rebuild my relationship with my wife (now ex) and be thankful for whatever progress I make. I will be content with the results and happy if she can at least see that I am a better man today than I was before.

I will learn from my past mistakes and failures and not allow them to drag me back down again.

I will become a financially responsible, respectable member of society, abe to hold my head high.

I will work to have a positive impact on other's lives. I have taken for far too long, now it is time to give some back.

I will let my actions speak, instead of my words. Words mean nothing without action behind them.

Most importantly, I WILL NOT USE, NO MATTER WHAT. I understand that none of the above will be possible if I do not keep this in mind.

In a perfect world I would accomplish all of these goals to their fullest every single day. We don't live in a perfect world. I understand that I will have my failures along the way, but will not allow them to derail my progress in general. I will work on these goals every day to the best of my ability, be proud of the results and learn from the mistakes.

These are my goals for the new decade.