View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Tomorrow, gonna go visit my bff and stay until Thurs. She is a smoker too, but I was the one who would take it to her. Haven't taken any to her for months, so I know there won't be any there. Thank goodness!
You might want to have a talk with your friend about this today, before your visit. You never know, she might have "hooked up" somewhere else, or may be expecting you to bring it. If she's a close friend, it shouldn't be a big deal. I know I set myself up for a number of "slips" this way. Putting myself into situations where I was sure I wouldn't use, but left the door open, just a crack, perhaps subconsciously hoping some would be around. Not saying you are doing this, but it still couldn't hurt to have a talk with her. You know it's gonna come up anyway.

I have a friend/co-worker who recently celebrated his first year weed free. I emailed him for some moral support as well. He has offered to take me to a meeting should I decide I want to go. I'm extremely emotional and have broken down and balled my eyes out each time I talk about this with my husband. He's supportive, but I can tell it's sort of awkward for him. He was a casual smoker and quit several months ago. My family doesn't know I do it and I'm not comfortable sharing it with them. I've read the 12 steps and I'm not sure that's going to be the route for me.
Sounds like you are taking the very beginning steps of setting up a "support network". It's good that hubby is supportive, even if he doesn't quite "get it", and your friend at work should be a good supportive resource. As for working the steps, it's great for some folks, others not so much. If your friend attends meetings, it couldn't hurt to go to one with him just to check it out. I personally am not a member of any 12step recovery groups, though I have attended many meetings of both AA and NA over the years and learned a great deal from them and their members. Anyway, your call on that one, I just wouldn't "write it off" if you feel like you need additional support.

I gathered everything related to it, cleaned the ashes, stems, seeds out of the drawer I kept it in, washed it out, bagged up all the stuff and handed it to my hubby and asked him to take it to the dump with the trash. I feel "safer" not having the pipes, etc. laying around. There's a bit of weight that has lifted off of my heart in doing that.
That is a great idea. I had a habbit of "forgetting" to toss a pipe here or their, or keeping an old one to smoke the resin out of. Bad idea, never worked. Just setting myself up for failure. Sounds like you are really on the right track. Just be careful of letting people you tell about this trying to talk into believing that "it's not that big a deal". It might not be for them, but is sounds like it is for you. Drinking a couple for beers is not that big of a deal for most people, but try telling that to an alcoholic. It's a big deal for them!!! Best of luck on your journey. It won't be all sunshine and roses, you will have your bumps in the road, but you will come out of it a better person. Take care.