View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

Better Dad ~

I wish you nothing but the best. I don't mean to look at the glass half empty (sorry for the bad pun), but it reminds me of resolutions year after year when I made a "plan" to quit smoking based on a tradition that was driven by the date on the calendar.

For me, sobriety was not something I had the ability to "map out." It was either stop drinking or die - then and there, no questions asked. I do applaud the medical consideration you've given to your situation and I don't know you - I only know that for me, if I was to not succeed with my plan to quit on xyz day, it would spell defeat and I would likely feel that the attempt was futile so why bother at all? (I speak from experience). Fortunately or not, alcoholism had controlled me, before I had "it" under control - as soon as I had to question whether I was out of control, it was too late.

Also, maybe it's me, but I never felt like it was anyone's business why I was no longer drinking. Those who knew me well enough knew why and those who didn't, well, it was none of their business. A simple "no thanks" when a drink was offered did it for me.

It's amazing to me how people are so inquisitive, almost as if there's some "secret" behind the refusal of a drink that they just can't help themselves in wanting to know. You know, that hushed kind of, "you don't drink????" - sidling up against you like there's some big story behind it that they've got to know. It's also amazing to me that the instant impression of the drink refusal must be because "the person is an alcoholic" or at least a "person with a problem." I've seen true, social drinkers respond to the question so comfortably and matter-of-fact that it doesn't beg any further qualification beyond "no thanks."

I actually have a friend who doesn't drink and when I'm out with him and anyone asks, "why don't you drink?" he replies, "for the same reason I don't eat veggies."

A female friend of mine (who's comfortable with anyone/everyone knowing about her recovery responded to the question, "How do you get through the day without a drink?"
with "My problem was getting through the day "with" a drink."

All the best to you, BetterDad ~

Bee