View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by BetterDad View Post
Do Primary care doctors usually prescribe meds for alcohol withdrawal themselves or refer to inpatient / outpatient care? Not asking for med advice, just prepping myself for my appointment.

I'm hoping they prescribe themselves so I can deal with this at home. Some symptoms I have every day are fast heart rate in the morning (half a pot of coffee probably isn't helping), hands twitch slightly, and palms start sweating in by mid-afternoon. I never drink the morning, but drink daily starting around 5ish until bed at 10.

Anyone with the same type of pattern... what was your experience?
You're right, the pot of coffee likely doesn't help with anxiety, blood pressure, restlessness etc..

As for your first question, many people are prescribed something to ease withdrawals, many people are not. The first time I "quit" I was prescribed anti-siezure meds for 2 days. The last and final time I quit, I did it med-free after I was honest with my doc, and scared to become addicted to anything he might give me to 'calm me' (I didn't want to add another crutch or replace an addiction) and it was fine. By that time, I was drinking pretty much 24/7, and while withdrawal was incredibly uncomfortable, it was survivable for me (again, my doc knew what was going on, as yours should as well). Finding a lot of support, meetings, counseling etc helped ease the anxiety, and the longer I was without alcohol, the less anxious I felt and the better I slept.

Over the past year + that I have been sober, sure I've experienced anxiety, but I've learned new ways to cope with it, and also come to understand that SOME anxiety, frustration, anger, sadness, (emotions) are NORMAL and healthy to feel. That took a while to learn after I had numbed myself almost to death for so long.